Bharati Hospital and Research Center has advanced facilities for cancer treatment and is a superlative oncology hospital in Pune.
Department of Oncology
Cancer is not a single entity, but a collection of a multitude of disease processes, unique in their sites of origin, rates of growth, patterns of spread and their final outcomes. Abnormal and uncontrolled growth is the only thing they all have in common. Cancer often begins in a single cell that gets transformed in a stepwise manner, because of various environmental and genetic factors.
Oncology Care Facilities
- Day care beds
- General ward category beds
- Isolated beds for adult and pediatric hematology and oncology patients as required will be made available.
- Procedure room for oncology related Biopsy, FNAC, any sterile dressings, and aspirations, insertions, intrathecal injections.
Bio safety cabinet
We have a Chemotherapy preparation room with a Biosafety cabin for preparation of chemotherapeutic agents in a safe and hygienic way. The cabin is always sterile with UV light; the laminar floor is always ready to prepare drugs.
At BHARATI Cancer Centre, we aim to deliver state-of-the-art-medical care to cancer patients. We are committed to providing the best patient care and welcome the opportunity to serve you and your family.
- BHARATI CANCER CENTER offers the entire range of hemato-oncology services including the Diagnosis and management of the entire spectrum of acute and chronic leukemia, lymphomas and myelomas.
- Complete range of hematology, biochemistry, histopathology services, all types of open and minimally invasive biopsies.
- The hospital has a dedicated paediatric oncology division with a specialist team to manage all childhood cancers.
- Chemotherapy (Out-patient and In-patient)
- Blood and Component Transfusion
- Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy
- Lumbar Puncture
- Psycho-Oncology Clinic
- Bio-Safety Cabinet for preparation of chemo drugs
- Dedicated service for dispensing chemotherapy drugs
- To provide administration of Chemotherapy for Cancer patients.
- Surgical, Medical and Paediatric Oncology OPD to diagnose & treatment given to patients
- Breast Cancer Clinic
- Palliative pain management
- Counseling of psychotherapist
- Bone marrow aspiration Biopsy & diagnostic Biopsy
- Diagnosis, work up of adult and pediatric malignancies
- Protocol based treatment for adult and pediatric malignancies.
- Management of Oncology emergencies.
- Management of supportive admission required in patients with malignancies e.g. infection, pre and post care etc
- Minor procedures like bone marrow aspiration and biopsy, intrathecal administration. of drugs , ? long fever insertions.
- Training and teaching of fellowship students and nursing staff.
- Palliative care of patients.
- Counseling of patients and their relatives by consultants and psychotherapists.
- Medical Oncology
- Surgical Oncology
Blood cancers and many solid cancers spread to the entire body even at the time of their detection. Even when a tumor like breast cancer is detected in an apparently localised early stage, many times, the disease comes back if surgery alone is performed for its treatment. It is assumed that even in some of the earliest tumors, some cancer cells might have spread to distant sites where they remain dormant for an indefinite time period before eventually relapsing. That is why we need to treat the disease with medicines that can reach each and every site in our system- this forms the basis of systemic treatment.
Procedures & Treatments
Over the last 50 years, tremendous advances have happened in our understanding of many cancers. Many paediatric solid tumors and leukemias are now eminently curable with chemotherapy. Systemic chemotherapy has also been established as important components of treatment of cancers like testicular cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer and colonic cancers.
The biggest challenge about systemic chemotherapy lies in its nonselective nature ie. The drug cannot distinguish between cancer cells and many normal rapidly dividing cells.
Most of the dreaded complications of chemotherapy like hair loss, decreased blood cell counts and life threatening infections are due to these nonselective effects on normal cells. But with recent advances in drug delivery and the introduction of the whole new gamut of more selective targeted agents, chemotherapy has evolved into a much more tolerable treatment.
Autologous and allogeneic bone marrow transplants have also extended the limits of modern day medical oncology in the management of blood diseases like leukemias and myeloma.
Traditionally, surgery had been regarded as one of the most important weapons in the fight against cancer, and it’s status is still unchanged. But rather than trying to push more and more for a possible cure, conserving functioning tissue without compromising cure has become the key to successful cancer.
Procedures & Treatments
The power of conservatism has slowly spread across the fields of surgery in breast cancer, bone and soft tissue cancer, cancer of the kidney and urinary bladder, laryngeal cancer and rectal cancer now. Surgical steps have become more or less standardised, and due care is exercised to harvest enough lymph nodes to ensure oncological adequacy. The evolution of surgeons who exclusively perform cancer surgeries is a step in the right direction, so is the recognition that results of treatment are better with high volume centres. Rightly done surgery is now recognised as an important prognostic factor in many cancers. The surgeon’s role has become even more critical as an active member of a multidisciplinary team in present day cancer management.